Tuesday, June 7, 2011

a little snag in my plans


OK...first off I have been trying to post pictures and stuff for a couple of weeks now, but I cannot get it to look right.  My settings have changed on this blog....so all 5 of you will have to wait a little while longer especially since I am out of town for the week.  So...on to the "snag" in my plans...  I have some bad news.....I cannot run the AF Canyon half marathon.  :(:(:(  "Why?" you ask.  Well I have been having some chest pain.  I first noticed it on a little 5 mile run when I started to breath heavily.  I thought that was weird.  I couldn't catch my breath.  It felt like I had a really tight sports bra on.  I don't know how else to describe it.  Sorry for the visual.  :) I ran about a half mile more and I had to stop and I was kind of having a asthma attack.  I don't know what that actually feels like, but it was what I imagine one would be like.  I had been sick a few days before that so i figured I just wasn't 100% better.  Anyway.....it happened the next time at mile 4....then the next time at mile 3......and then mile 2.49!!  Crazy!  It's getting worse.  I actually got scared and got off of the treadmill at 3.23 miles which I don't do because it isn't an "even" number.  My heart rate was 39!  39!!!  I have a low heart rate anyway, but it is usually 55 - 62ish.  39 is practially dead.  My blood pressure was low too.  I was actually scared that I was going to die.  I went to the doctor and he did an ekg, x-ray and some blood tests to see if I had a blood clot.  All of the tests came back normal.  He said that some "elite athletes" (his words...not mine) have a very low heart rate.  I told him I would hardly call myself an elite athlete and he said that the fact that I said "I was only on mile 5 and I couldn't breath" tells him that I am.  I have him fooled,.  Can I tell you how much I love him for saying that?  He is  my new best friend.  I wonder if he is on facebook.  haha.  Anyway....he said that he thinks I have exercise induced asthma.  He gave me an inhaler to try.  I haven't tried it yet because I am in Jackson and it is already harder to breath up here.  I have a whole bunch of excuses, but mostly I am scared to run again.  It has almost been a week.  I hope I don't die....if I do...this may be my last post.  OK, OK, I'm not going to die.  If this inhaler doesn't work I have to go back and do a stress test on a treadmill while hooked up to some machines and also visit a cardiologist.  I hope that this inhaler works.  I will try it out tomorrow (I have been saying that for days now) I'll let you know and I promise to post pics because let's be honest....it's the only reason you all even come to my blog.  You probably aren't even reading this....RUDE!  j/k