Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A health update.... sorry, but people have been asking me about it....


So....I was innocently sitting in the condo in Jackson when my phone rang.  I looked at the number and I realized that it looked like my doctor's office phone number.  That's weird (I thought) and I answered it and it was them!  The nurse said that she had my results from my blood work....blood work?  I thought that it was done and that I don't have a blood clot.  Hmmm..... the next thing I hear is "blah blah blah....blah blah blah.....so as soon as you can we need you to come in to see what is causing this.".  What??? Whoa, whoa, whoa,  usually when the nurse calls with my lab results they say "it all came back normal".  I had her repeat the information.  She said that I have too much calcium in my blood and that is not normal and so they need to do more tests to see what is causing it.  Ok...I told her I would come in when I got home.  Of course I immediately go to the computer and google this.  The most common reason is hyperparathyroid.  Thyroid?  That's weird.  I look at the symptoms...."Loss of energy"....hello....I have two small kids that run me ragged.  "Feel old"...yes that is actually a symptom! uh yeah because I AM getting old.  "Headaches"  Yes, but I just had an MRI that showed that I have a spot on my brain consistent with migraines.  "Spouse claims that you are more irritable and harder to get along with" ....hahaha....I don't think Antonio would dare answer this one.  :)  Anyway my point is that anyone could have these "symptoms".  OK....what else could this be?  I scroll down and see cancer.  Of course I always think I have cancer because of all of the cancer in my family.    My dad has lost 3 brothers, a sister to cancer and he has had it himself.  On my mom's side there is my mom who died of cancer, my cousin, my grandma (she didn't die from it though)....my odds are not good.  Then I read the #1 type of cancer that can be associated with high blood calcium is: Multiple Myeloma.  My heart sinks...that is the cancer that my mommy died from.  I know that the probability of me having this is very low, but I'm still scared.  I gave more blood and I should know the results tomorrow.  I'm pretty certain that it is not cancer, but it is still in the back of my mind.  I just want whatever it is to be fixed so I can start running again.  I keep seeing people out running and I get angry because that should be me.  Ohhhh I don't think I ever told you how the ol' inhaler works.  Well...I finally went running in Jackson where it is higher altitude and I didn't get that "sports bra being too tight" feeling, but I only went 3 miles.  I promised the family that I wouldn't go more than that because they think I'm going to kill over or something.  It was a little harder to breathe, but I think it was just the altitude.  Yesterday I decided to give it another go and about 1 1/2 minutes into it I started to see black spots and feel very dizzy.  I thought I would just run through it and it would stop.....wrong!  I managed to go 1.50 miles ...I had to stop at the even number.  I actually had to grab a hold of the hand rail a couple of times because I thought I might pass out.  I checked my heart rate....48.  That is pretty low especially when you have been running 15 minutes.  I don't know what to think.  I guess I'll just wait to see what the doctor finds out from my tests.  I'll keep you posted!!